Friday, January 11, 2008

Breathing a little easier...

So, I'm 8.5 months preggers. This to say that sleeping at night has not been easy...to say the very least. I wake up every night uncomfortable and complaining...usually Joe checks to make sure I'm not going into labor. Wednesday night while sleeping I woke up with a horrible amount of pain in my chest (at about 3 AM) and all I could explain was that "my heart hurt". That's what I kept telling Joe. I had a horrible pain in my left chest wall and couldn't seem to locate exactly why it hurt so bad. Chalking it up to pregnancy and sleeping poorly I eventually went back to sleep. On Thursday, with some gentle prodding by my mother, I called my OB/GYN to let them know of my pain (which I was still having). After Ella's therapies I called and within minutes the nurse called me back to say that my doctor wanted me to come in immediately. By noon I was scheduled for a V/Q Scan (which looks for blood clots in the lungs). The scan showed no clots...PRIASE THE LORD!! However, I have now been diagnosed with Pleurisy or a Pleuritic Virus. Yeah, lots of fun. I can say that it's better than whatever they would have done for the blood clot. If the links don't make since here is what my super smart friend Desiree wrote to me about my yesterday:
"Pleurisy is when the lining of the lungs is inflamed. The prefix pleur- is used to describe something with the lungs. Other examples would be pleural or plueritic. You have a visceral and pleural layer around your lungs. There is a thin fluid layer in between those two layers. I just asked one of the respiratory therapist here at work, he said the main cause of pleurisy is usually dehydration. When you are dehydrated that fluid layer is decreased and the visceral and pleural layers rub together with respirations. This is very painful. If the doctor said the pleurisy is being caused by a virus, the virus is most likely making the lining of your lungs inflamed for some reason. Lots, of fluids makes sense, because you want to replenish that lining in your lungs. He can't give you any antibiotics because those only treat bacterial infections, so that's probably why he said just take Tylenol. Unfortunately, it's probably just something you are going to have to ride out. I'm so happy the VQ scan was normal....that's really good. I hope you feel better. Do what the doctor says! :)"

So, my doctor said to drink plenty of fluids (which I'm not good about because I'm so tired of having to go to the bathroom!!), Tylenol, and bedrest...WAIT, BEDREST?!!? Are you kidding me...have you SEEN my schedule. Luckily we have a very light weekend of "to do" stuff, but STILL. I have a 20 month old who likes to play with me, and I like playing with her. So, I'm taking it lighter for sure, but there is NO way I'm laying in bed all day...maybe I'll hang out on the couch a little.

Prayers for quick healing and discipline to do what the doctor said so that I can have a great last few days of pregnancy!

Oh, and there doesn't seem to be any risk to William so he's totally just hanging out without a clue that mommy is sick!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like "gentle prodding"

As you guys get older, it is hard to "tell you what to do" I try suggestions! But sometimes I need you to understand that I want you to "just do it because I said so." I think on this one we were in agreement in short order.
Love you,
-Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh!!! I have had that! My description was that it felt like a knife was stabbing me through the front and back, it hurt so much! I am so sorry but that is much better news than that of a clot or of something that could potentially be harmful to William. And just like your case, my mom was the one who made me go to the doctor. I guess in the end, they really DO know best, haha!