Friday, March 16, 2007

I hate waiting

It's Andrea. We are sitting at my parents house (bc they are 10 mins from the hospital/doctors). Joe, Ella and I are sitting around waiting to hear about a new test. They want to test E's reflux to make sure that if she is refluxing from her stomach that we fix that as well. Here's the issue. When Ella swallows any fluids or anything with liquid then a portion of it goes down into her lungs and she doesn't have the muscle control to try and cough it up. This could be a problem if they put the feeding tube in and she ends up with fluids coming back up her esophagus and then down into her lungs. If there is a reflux problem then they will do 2 surgeries at once...one to seal off the stomach from coming back up, called Nissen, and the second is to input the tube (they would do a "button" instead of an actual tube).

So, we are waiting to hear about the reflux test so that we know if we need 1 surgery or 2...two done at one time.

The surgery will probably be this weekend bc they aren't sure they can get us in today.

Just pray for peace right now. Joe is holding up well, bc he has so much strength...but I have my moments where I break down.

love you to you all.

6 comments:

The Mays said...

Andrea- I hate waiting, too! Please know that you're not waiting alone, though. We are all on pins and needles waiting to hear the doctor's report. You, Joe, and Sweet Ella are in our prayers today and always. Love, Ashley May

Anonymous said...

Andrea~ I just posted on the board and had to come here quickly to see if you had more info. The first thing you said, about fluid going into the lungs, is what Logen does. He aspirates. It's NOT bad! We thicken his beverages. He doesn't have the control to keep it from going into his lungs either. His epiglottis is what isn't strong enough just yet. (it's the little flap that is is suppose to cover the airway to prevent this)I'd be more than happy to expain what we do in more detail if you want. You can send me an email and I'll zap you my phone number. Hugs to you all! You are all in my prayers right now. And, If's it's just aspirating- it's fine. I promise! We've been dealing with it since Logen was 4 months old!! HUGS! jklduncan@yahoo.com

Katy said...

I am praying!

clara said...

Andrea,
This is clara from your mothers heart group. I have nothing to say except that we WILL be praying for your sweet baby girl and you and your husband. I cant imagine all you must be going through. If there is ANYTHING we can do please let me know.

AW said...

Lord, I ask that you please give Andrea peace. Still her heart and give her a sense that you know exactly how this is going to turn out. Please protect little Ella and use her happy spirit to remind her parents what a blessing they have. Continue to keep Joe strong. Even though he may seem strong, we all know he's just as concerned, but is dealing with it differently. We love you Lord and know without question that you love us.

Debbie said...

Andrea, your mom and I talked earlier. You are all in my prayers.