Sunday, August 23, 2009

Submission and Decisions

Submission:to give over or yield to the power or authority of another, to present for the approval, consideration, or decision of another or others, to yield oneself to the power or authority of another.

In our marriage it has always been wonderful to be able to depend on Joe. I trust him to prayerfully lead our family as God leads him. Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. Colossians 3:18-19 It's been really easy for me. I can't explain why, but I trust Joe so deeply that I allow him to make our decisions. Sure, I will ask him why or discuss the reasons we do or don't do something, but it always comes down to what he thinks is best for all of us. This isn't always easy. Joe and I are VERY different. I always want to be part of EVERY social event, and Joe rarely cares what we are involved in socially. I like to be out and about and around people and doing things...Joe likes to be home, with us...just the 4 of us...our family.

Why am I telling you all of this? Well, Joe and I have talked a lot about whether to start Ella in school tomorrow. It's supposed to be her first day. Who misses their first day of school? It's like the best day. You get to wear new clothes and get all dressed up and everyone is excited and nervous. However, because of our past week, Joe thinks it's better if she waits a week. For some reason, that is really hard for me. I do realize it's about Ella, but I see her as totally back to herself. She's a little clingy, but I think that has so much to do with the fact that she's had someone right next to her every moment of the last 5 days. She's been held, and sung to, and talked to and visited...every moment of every day. So, we are going to give it another week. I'm going to allow Joe to make the decision and follow his lead.

Submission in our family isn't about Joe being in "charge"...it's about me, allowing Christ to lead our family through Joe.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

I loved this A! I copied the scripture and put in my notebook. This is a struggle for me and through your lead, I am going to try and do the same. Thank you for sharing this w/ all of us!

Anonymous said...

GREAT message!!

Debbie said...

Andrea, as I see it (from my experiences) it's all about trust and giving up the evil "c" word -- CONTROL! I, like you, am happy to submit to my husband. Does that make us week or spineless. Heavens no. I friend reminded me the other day that meekness does not equal weakness. It is a virtue. You have been blessed with that virtue. Submitting to one's husband is a great gift. Of course, there must be mutual trust and respect -- and you both certainly have that! I am so happy you see that. Joe is your rock and he calms your troubled waters. You are wise to know that, instead of trying to fight it. It makes me so happy that you have found that.

Noelle said...

Andrea, I never get through one of your blogs without tears streaming down my face! This one included. Joe is a lucky man!