Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dancing Queen

I am thinking about putting Ella in a special needs dance class. This isn't the class, but it's a good example of what it will look like. Joe and I watched the clip from the Today Show and were both crying. It's amazing how it just hits us that Ella's life and future is so different, and that there are struggles we don't even know in her life. I tow the line between wanting her to be cognitive, and not wanting her to know what she's incapable of doing. Now, for my mother-in-law, I'm NOT saying that Ella won't be able to do a lot of things or that God can't heal her or even that there aren't a great deal of things that Ella CAN do, but this post is about dancing. Yes, Ella shakes her shoulders...it's adorable, rare and precious when done. When having a daughter I think it's hard not to picture pink tights and leotards and tutus...I mean, it's part of being a girl. You want to be a princess and a ballerina and a if you live here, a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. They are all fun to dress up like for Halloween and pretend when you play make believe. I want those things for Ella, and yet I have NO idea if she wants them for herself. I know, there will be those of you who think I should just let her be a little girl without making her do all of those things, but to me, that's PART of being a little girl.

So, we are considering putting her in classes and just letting her tell us if she enjoys it or not. We won't know till we try and we have to be sensitive because it's not like she'll just look at me and say "I love it" or "I hate it". Communication is a huge issue around here right now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that would be adorable and you should totally do it!!! Ella will be the cutest ballerina EVER!!!

Debbie said...

Follow your heart and your dreams. You will know what is right.

Rob and Amy said...

I think that is a great sounding idea!!! I hope you are able to enroll her, and I hope sweet Ella loves it!

Allison Parkey said...

I think you should totally do it!!!! Dancing is so enriching both physically and emotionally. Not to mention how darling Ella and her curls will be in a pink leotard!!

Carolina said...

Andrea, I can so absolutely relate. in the latin community, we have a huge party for a girl's 15th birthday, big choreographed dance, etc. and we always dance the waltz, the Blue Danube. anytime i hear that, it just takes me 13 years into the future, wondering what Olivia will be doing at that point. And i also always cry when i hear the song "I hope you dance" - which of course happens at weddings, which make me wonder about that....it's never ending. we just have to have faith that our girls will be happy wherever they are and whatever they are doing. xoxo

Maggie said...

I think that's awesome!!

Emma said...

I think it is a great idea. If sh eshows signs of not liking it you can always stop. My son is Autistic/nonverbal and we have groups in the area that run special needs t-ball and family photos, etc. The kids may not fully understand that they are participating in something "similar" to what their peers do but they are great structured activites that expose the kids to something new. It also helps the parents by making life seem a little more normel. we have to do so many things other parents don't have to do - PT, OT, ST, etc that it is nice to be able to say "I am taking my kid to dance class later"