Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Why?

"Total peace, like all answers, may never come. They didn't for Jacob. Nor Job. Some questions remained unanswered even for Jesus, whether in the Garden of Gethsemane or on a Roman cross -- "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Mark 15:34)"
-Josh and Amy Bottomly, from ashes to africa (Mustang: Tate Publishing, 2008)

My mother in law gave me a book that some family friends wrote. As I am only halfway through the book (it tugs at my heart daily) I came across this section (page 102) and realized that to move forward in my life with Ella, a special needs child, I have to be willing to surrender her and her condition to Him. I have to be willing to lay my selfish desires at the foot of the cross, step back and raise Ella in the way he has instructed me to go. I will never know "why?" and, like the Ashwill's say, the answer probably wouldn't suffice.

I love my daughter. In her three years of life I have learned and grown more than the millions of tears and pain I felt until the day she was born. I hope that I have caught on to some of what God is trying to teach me through her. I hope that I am a better mom to her, and Will, because of the road we have been down.

It isn't easy, but what part of life that makes us better is really easy? I want to be stretched and molded and sculpted...it hurts so badly, but the finished product is so much better than the raw materials. I want to be raw for God. I want to be willing to be used by Him. I hope that Ella's life is not wasted on me...that I see her for not a burden, but as such a gift. I am constantly reminded of how happy she is...95% of the time. The other 5% I think she fakes for attention. She is an angel here on Earth, I'm convinced of it.

Thank you Amy for reminding me that I don't have to be at peace with every moment of every day...as long as I'm willing to surrender those moments to God.

By the way, Josh, I tried to copied your way of siting your sources...not sure an English teacher would grade me well on anything I ever write!

2 comments:

Beck said...

Thank you for sharing your heart - again! I tell people all the time, "If you're looking for why?, you'll have to wait a long time." I think Why? heads us down the wrong path, sometimes leads us back to ourselves. It's simply so tempting here in the temporal life!

Wonder if Ella struggles with why? or if she's fine in the here and now?

Maggie said...

I copied and pasted from the end of your entry:

Thank you ANDREA for reminding me that I don't have to be at peace with every moment of every day...as long as I'm willing to surrender those moments to God.

Amen.