Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Too many rocks...what to take out??

I think I've mentioned this story before (totally paraphrased...bible study girls are free to correct me):

Okay, so there is this man who decides that he can take a rock to the top of the hill because God asked him to...on his way up the hill with his rock a friend stops him to ask where he's going, when he explains it, the friend asks if he will take his rock up too, since he's going anyway...a few others stop him on his path and either can't carry their own, need him to carry theirs or at least share their burden...as he's making his way up the hill he decides he just can't do it, stops and tells God that the cart is just too heavy to push/pull up the hill and gets mad at God for giving him so much to take on...and God reminds the man that He only gave him one small rock...God tells him to take all of the other rocks out of his cart and as the man starts to push/pull the cart with only the rock that God gave him, he finds it VERY easy to manage the load...and so we are only to take on those things that God gives us.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

So, all of that to say that I really struggle with my calendar. I have SO much on there for Ella or Will, and when I start to add my stuff or Joe's stuff (let alone anything I have promised to anyone else) then I start to feel VERY weighed down. I love to socialize. I love to be involved in everything. I love to know what's going on...and I hate missing out on anything. However, I love my kids, my husband, my sleep and my sanity.

My priorities get mixed up very easily. The hard part is, I'm not having to choose between good and bad things...they are all positive and good things, that may all please the Lord...but I need to make sure that He's the one putting them on my plate.

I may not start clearing off my schedule tomorrow...because I do have current obligations, and it really is rude to back out of things...well, that's my take on it...I'm sure there will be others who disagree (Shelby), but for now...I will just do what was suggested on FB today...Joe and I will pray over my calendar and figure out what is important and necessary for our family to do.

There are different seasons of life...this may just be our busy season.

No comments: