Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Blogging

I've been thinking about my blog. My "weblog". Ha...who would have ever thought that I would put my family out there for the whole world to see?! It started with a simple and easy pregnancy, wanting to keep friends and family informed...since Joe's family and friends lived all over the place. Since Ella decided to make a dramatic entry into this world I've been addicted to this way to chronicle our lives. I've noticed lately that it has become more pictures than actual "logging". So, I'm going to try and do equal parts pictures and stories...you may find none of the writing interesting, but it's my blog so I can do whatever I want.

I have to start by saying that I'm listening to my Cary Pierce CD...if you haven't heard of just Cary, then I hope you remember Jackopierce (you would have had to been in college or high school sometime in the 90's). I was first drawn to "Jacko" back in high school. Guys from church would strum the songs on their guitars at camp or just hanging around the church (yeah, okay, not a Christian band, but hey). Funny thing is that years later I ended up meeting Cary...as a local music follower I thought I had reached the pinnacle...don't try telling me otherwise, I still love this music. Through Cary I met a guy named Graham Colton who shortly became my neighbor/friend and now he's a big deal (they always forget the little people when they get famous).

All of this to say that it's amazing how music can take you back to a certain time in life. Just hearing Cary's song on a commercial for the Nasher Sculpture Center made me stop and smile in my living room today...I laughed out loud at the memories. One memory to write about: My roommate Allison and I used to live in the apartments right by the American Airlines Center. One Saturday morning at around 5am we started hearing sound-checks for a marathon they were starting soon. Not long after we hear a familiar voice doing his own sound-check...it was Cary. We ran over from our apartment (literally in tank tops and shorts and flip flops...everyone else was in running gear) and just attended the concert...HAHA. (well it was funny to us)

The same "stop and listen" moment happened as they were kicking someone off of American Idol one night and I heard another familiar voice, Graham. He was playing his new song "Best Days" and I about fell over. He'd finally made it!!! Granted it was just a song in the closing of a show, but it's been huge since then. I can say that I would go and hear G.C. play at Flying Saucer in like 2000. The next 3 years we saw the band in Austin, Oklahoma City, Washington D.C. and the greatest was in NYC for 3 days when we got to go backstage and meet the Counting Crows (that's who Graham was opening for). I thought I had made it to the top in the music world, and at the time that was huge deal to me.

Anyway, just thought I'd take you down music-memory-lane. Thanks for traveling along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG I will never forget hearing Cary's sound check at the AA Center that Saturday morning, then going over in our flip flops. Good times!!!!!

Anonymous said...

what's the song cary is singing in that commercial? it was over before i realized what was going on, but now i'm curious and i'm googling trying to figure it out. hope you can clear it up for me! thanks :)