Thursday, May 06, 2010

Toys R Us Kid

So, how many times do you remember going through the Toys R Us catalog as a child and circling the things that you "just HAD to have" and in our family you wrote your initials on your item so that when our poor parents went to the store they knew what each kid wanted. I miss that catalog. You don't get the same hype from an online store, just doesn't happen. And, has anyone tried to find anything in the actual store...miserable. I've decided the only thing that stinks worse than trying to find Ella a Christmas present (because shopping at a kids toy store from October-January is certifiably nuts) is trying to find her something for her birthday. Not because the stores are crazy, but because I start to feel crazy.

This is the 4th birthday that I don't know what to buy for her. I don't know what she wants, but she has to want SOMETHING, doesn't she? I would print out the entire TRU online store if I thought she would pick something. I would beg the manager to let us come in before opening if I thought that a peaceful store would help her zone in on the one item she can't live without. I'm pretty sure my husband or parents or in-laws would break the bank to buy her anything if she would just say the words "I want_____". Don't ask Will, he wants everything. We go days of trying to teach him to stop staying the phrase "I want____". But from Ella, they would be sweet words.


A lot of my mom-friends of special needs children don't have vocal or mobile kids, but the kids still like (or don't like) a lot of things. Not Ella...you could give her a shoe and the kid is thrilled. Honestly, her speech therapist gave her the option of a glove or pudding and Ella picked the glove and joyfully started chewing on it...funny, but not helpful.


My dad told her that she could have any car she wanted when she turned 16 if she would make it out of the NICU alive...well, that girl decided she wanted a 1961 or 1970 Corvette (even if she can't drive I've offered to take her anywhere she wants to go, as long as we put the convertible top down). I would say she didn't know it at the time, but she wanted that car...and we all wanted her to come home.


Joe offered her a pony if she never had a poopy diaper on his watch...she didn't make it very far on that one, but instead she just gets to ride a horse once a week.


So, I don't know what we are buying her this year. I don't know what she would want or what she would play with or what is best for her. We've bought her sentimental gifts in the past. She has a music box for jewlery, she has a beautifully carved wooden box with the word "hope" on the front, and she has a lot of letters from her dad and grandfather that they write her every year.


What do you think she would want?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry. I cannot imagine what it is like. But how about a really soft stuffed pony. My girls love cuddling with soft stuffed animals and since Ella gets to ride each week it could be special for what she is doing in her life right now. Those smiles on the horse are as big as Texas. Oh and come see us sometime!!

Noelle said...

Don't forget I want you guys to come over for a tea party! Work us in:) One Sunday I was working in Ava's class and Ella was with us. Have you seen the little house that is in the room next to the VIP room...well all the kids were kinda gathered around it. Ella was reaching in the window..my first instict was to move her, but then realized I think she was enjoying being in the midst of the other kids. I don't know if it was the house...or the kids. Do you have something like that? Low enough to the ground she could crawl in and out of?

Unknown said...

Let me think about it and I'll get back to you. :)

AW said...

((((Andrea and Ella)))) I think she would want what most 4 year olds want. A Barbie and a cute purse. :-)