Thursday, May 14, 2009

**Note: This is 30 Days of Reflection on Ella's first 30 days of life and her battle for survival as we all prayed for miracles**

Sunday, May 14, 2006
Ella Update of Sunday at 10:00 p.m......
Well we have some good news, our little Ella has gone from "critical" to "guarded". You can only imagine how wonderful this was to hear, Joe and Andrea are SOOOO beside themselves. We have had such a blessed weekend and what a better way for Andrea to end her mothers day than with such great news. She will remain in NICU for at least another few weeks but we will know a better ball park towards the end of this week. We went and saw Ella this morning and again tonight and she is just beautiful. She looks so peaceful in her sleep. It was so neat for Andrea to touch her and she responds to her mommie touch. In fact as we would kiss her on our way out tonight her heart rate would drop to a GREAT rate, what a good feeling. So here is today's progress. She will be having a CT of her brain and an x-ray of her chest done tomorrow. We get the results from her spinal tap tomorrow letting us know the progress of getting rid of the disease allowing them to start weaning her off of her antibiotics. If her bowels sound better she will start to take Andrea's milk in the next 24-48 hours. She has not had a seizure in over 50 hours, PRAISE GOD !!! All of her vital signs are doing well. She has had both arm splints removed and no IV's in either arm now. She has had her blood pressure meds, seizure meds and antibiotics all reduced over the weekend. She is urinating like a champ but they still need her to have more wet diapers. She has gained some weight from the water retention and is now beginning to lose it. Her swelling is minimal and her skin color is pale but pink. She has had her second blood and platelets transfusion done today successfully, and by tomorrow her color should be better. Her vital cord in her umbilical veins should be removed on Thursday or Friday allowing Joe and Andrea to have more contact with her. It will probably still be some time before we know if there is any permanent damage. Please continue praying for Ella, Joe, Andrea, and the doctors. She is not out of the woods yet, but is on her way. I will post more pictures tomorrow after I download them. Much love and thanks for all of your support- Sara

May 14, 2009

What a way for God to get our attention! I am still amazed at how much Ella recovered and surprised the doctors and nurses at the hospital. I remember thinking that there were at least a few people that didn't think she would leave the hospital...I praise the Lord that they were wrong. She did fight the infection. She fought so hard, and it's that same spirit that she uses now to fight for her abilities. Today I ran errands with my sister after we took Ella to horse therapy. I find myself not comparing Ella to her cousin, Micah, even though he's only weeks younger than her. However, it gets harder with girls her age. As we were picking up Micah and Makenna from Mother's Day Out I watched the little girls who were right around Ella's age and my heart ached. It doesn't happen daily, or even weekly, but when it happens...it hurts. I feel such a weight of loss, for Ella and for me. As I saw two little girls who were friends holding hands my heart broke for my daughter who doesn't even realize that she doesn't have any friends. Don't get me wrong here, a lot of you love Ella, and play with her. But she has no peers whom she wants to play with, or want to play with her. God protected me from these thoughts in the NICU...I was only concerned with her health...now I have that, and I want more. We always want more. Just as God answered all of your prayers for Ella 3 years ago, will you pray that God will work on my heart. That my true hearts desire would be for Ella and myself to glorify God...in any way that He needs us too. Otherwise, what's the point in all of this?

Now, on to horse pictures:





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying reading these posts and by no means, because of what Ella had to go through, but because of where she is heading! I remember the day it happened, as I'm sure you will never forget! I'm glad we are still friends to this day and that I have been able to see little Miss Ella! She is such an amazing little girl and you & Joe along with God, your family and friends are wonderful! Congratulations Ella for being such a fighter and a sweet angel!
PS-Kiss my sweet little Will for me too....never forgotten is that sweet little face =)

Unknown said...

I just want you to know that Ella has a friend who loves to play with her. As a matter of fact she moved from a long way away to play with her! We have spent many hours playing laughing and loving each other. Each minute spent has been precious. And I know I am her best friend. She tells me all the time.