Thursday, March 06, 2008

From My Recovery Room

Uggh, I'm so tired of being in the hospital. I'm sitting here alone in my recovery room, just hoping to be released fairly early tomorrow (but not TOO early).

Here is the full story, for those of you who would like to know how this all went down.

Monday: Woke up with pain in my right side, sweating and nauseous. We thought it was probably kidney stones (because I had them in November of 2006), but I called the doctor anyway (again, at the prodding of my VERY smart mother) and was scheduled for Tuesday.

Tuesday: 10:30 sonogram to check for any complications from the pregnancy or for possible cysts. 11:00 saw the doctor and he checked to see if it could be GBS infection since it can cause problems in the mom (remember that's the infection that caused Ella's seizures). He concluded that it had nothing to do with my "female parts". That's when he said it could be the appendix...I thought he was crazy, but I trust him completely so I went with it. He scheduled me for a CT scan with contrast to check out my intestinal system.

Wednesday: The test was supposed to start about 1pm. Arrived and had to drink barium (GROSS, this is what Ella has to use to do her swallow studies, she is a trooper because this stuff is horrible). After I drank the barium they put an IV in my arm so that they could do the contrast and then sent me through the machine. I decided to go home and wait for results, thinking it must not be a big deal or they would tell me right then. Got home about 3:30pm got ready for the evening and received a call from our doctor at 4:30ish and she said that it was early in the infection stages but that I needed to check into the ER as soon as possible and get scheduled to have the appendix removed, before it ruptured. We dropped the kids off with Mom and Sara (and Dad). Side Note: My family is amazing for taking on my kids in addition to having Micah in the house. Joe and I sat in the ER till about 7:30pm...this is where the night gets really long. We almost didn't even get a room with a bed. They finally got me hooked up (the priority was to get me on antibiotics) and settle in for the night...surgery would be in the morning. Oh, and did I mention that the WHOLE hospital was out of beds so I had to sleep in the ER room and Joe barely had somewhere to sit so he had to go home and get a couple of hours of sleep. They didn't even have pillows!! It was a rough night to say the least. I think I got more sleep at home when William was up all night.

Thursday: Got up at about 6:30a when Joe arrived and was in and out till they wheeled me off to surgery at 8:45am. Got pre-oped by some great people, met with the doctor and the anesthesiologist...then they took me to surgery. He put the meds in my IV and I was GONE. I don't remember ANYTHING after that injection. I woke up in recovery and ended up staying in there for about 6 hours...again, waiting for a hospital bed to open up. The surgery was laparoscopic so there are only 3 small incisions. I'm now here and will probably be discharged tomorrow afternoon, because of the weather.

Thank you for your prayers. We've been offered many meals. If you would like to be on the meal calendar (and get to play with the kiddos) then let me know and I'll send you the link. We'd love to see anyone who has the time and would like to come by. I can't put the link on here because it has our address on it...and I can't include my hospital room number on here either just in case.

Having friends and family who are calling to make sure we are taken care of is a huge blessing. The Lord continues to bless us so much. I just wish he could do it without the hospital and insurance having to be involved (oh, but insurance is such a blessing as well...it's amazing how quickly our family can max out our deductible and out-of-pocket each year now; it's like a challenge to see how fast we can do it).

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad everything went so well! Delivering a baby and having your appendix in the time span of about a month - you are a trooper! Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!

Dori said...

So glad to hear everything went well!!! We are praying for a quick recovery!

Love,
Dori

Kristian and Katy said...

glad youre ok, andrea!!

~katy

AW said...

Andrea, you've been prayed over mightily with our ABF at church. So glad things are on the upswing now. I know you're anxious to get home and settled again! So we'll be praying for a relaxing and yet quick recovery!

* ~ *Jessica* ~ * said...

HUGS! Wishing you a quick recovery!

Katy said...

oh my goodness! i'm glad to hear that you're doing better and recovering! Been there, done that. and yes, barium is disgusting. hang in there!!!

lindsay said...

So glad you're better!!

Rozalyn Payne said...

Holy smokes little A...what an ordeal! I am sooo glad everything turned out ok. Know that we're praying for ya over here.

Stephanie Pulley said...

Didn't I just see you Sunday? You are amazing! See you soon! --Stephanie